Saturday, September 27, 2008

These are my relatives???

One of the senior sisters in our mission set up a tour of the McCune Mansion through the Utah Historical Society. This is a mansion that was built and lived in by my great-great aunt, Elizabeth Claridge McCune. She is my grandmothers (Nana McLaughlin) aunt (sister to Samuel Claridge, Nana's father). She married Alfred McCune and he became very wealthy through his businesses of transportation/railroads. They built this mansion in Salt Lake City just two blocks above the temple on Main Street and 2nd North. It is HUGE and would cost over $22 million to be built today. It was a very interesting tour. The tour guide gave me a big hug after she found out that I was related to the McCunes. She said that she has been giving tours for over 20 years and had never met an actual living relative of them. The mansion is used today as a reception and conference place. The McCunes donated it to the church and for many years it was used as a music school. Here are some of the pictures I took of our tour:



This is the senior couples who come to the tour with us on Thursday, Sept. 18 standing on the front steps of the home. We had to split our group up to two different days because there were so many who wanted to go on the tour.

This is a picture of the side of the home
This is me standing by the picture of Elizabeth Claridge McCune.
The fireplace in the entry reception room

Part of the ballroom
A small couch in another part of the ballroom
The fireplace in the ballroom
A clock in the entry hall

These are all pictures of the master bathroom, sinks, fireplace, shower etc.
This is a room at the far end of the ballroom
Sitting in the sunroom
Part of the side yard
This is hard to see but Mike is rubbing the nose of the boar statue in the yard.
It was a fun morning. I don't know where all the family money went but I do know one thing....
......................................I didn't get any of it!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We love seeing the pictures and reading all the wonderful things you are able to do on your mission. We miss you tons but know you are just a phone call away.

Terry said...

Found it! Thanks for sending me the info I needed. When I visited Paige in Indiana there was an old mansion and it had a wrap around shower just like the one in your "family" home!! I want one!